Research Media Studies
Media Studies has a rich and diverse research culture which is reflected in the national and local research institutes and projects:
Research Institutes UvA
– The Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA).
Two Research Priority Areas
– CREATE (‘Creative Amsterdam: An E-Humanities Perspective’) investigates how cultural industries have shaped Amsterdam’s unique position in a European and global context, from the seventeenth century until the present day.
– Centre for Digital Humanities (CDH), a joint initiative with the Free University of Amsterdam and the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). The CDH coordinates public-private research projects where humanities scholarship and informatics come together.
– DATACTIVISM, a research collective exploring the politics of big data broadly defined. We take a critical look at massive data collection, privacy and surveillance | social movements, activism and internet activism.
– ASCA Cities project brings together a diverse group of scholars, research students, and practitioners who are interested in the comparative, interdisciplinary analysis of cities. Focusing in particular on the cultural dimensions of cities.
Each year the New Media Team organizes a Summer and Winter School.