This is Film! Film Heritage in Practice
March 6th – May 8th 2019
From March 6th to May 8th, Eye and the University of Amsterdam present This is Film! Film Heritage in Practice , a series of six public lectures at Eye devoted to remarkable projects in the field of film restoration and film heritage.
Giovanna Fossati (Chief Curator at Eye and Professor of Film Heritage at the UvA) addresses recent restoration projects and presentation forms of film heritage, varying from silent cinema compilation programmes to Hollywood classics. Each session features an extended Q&A session with an invited (international) guest speaker, who will also introduce a film screening.
This is Film! offers insight into what happens behind the scenes in film archives, museums and cinemas, and is aimed at everyone who loves film. The lectures are in English and can be attended as a series or on a one-off basis.
Wednesdays at 15:30 from March 6 – May 8, 2019 (www.eyefilm.nl/thisisfilm)
The programme is in English. Free for Cineville card holders. Regular tickets are 5,50 euro.
Join the Academic Newsletter and stay updated on the Academic Activities of Eye: www.eyefilm.nl/academic
Eye Filmmuseum IJpromenade 1, Amster dam 020-5891400
- March 6 , 15:30 Guest: Mo Henry (Negative Cutter)
- Screening: Interstellar by Christopher Nolan (USA, 2014, 169’, 70mm)
- #1 Film Formats: Interstellar in 70mm
- March 20th (rescheduled) May 1st, 15:30 Guest: Amy Heller (Founder and President of Milestone Films)
- Screening: Portrait of Jason by Shirley Clarke (USA, 1967, 105’, 2K DCP)
- #2 Film Heritage Distribution: Milestone Films
- April 3, 15:30 Guest: Céline Ruivo (Curator of Film Collections, Cinématèque Française)
- Screening: Meet Me in St. Louis by Vincente Minnelli (USA, 1944, 113’, Technicolor, 35mm)
- #3 Colour in Film: Meet Me in St. Louis in vintage Technicolor
- April 10, 15:30Guest: Tulta Behm (Film Technician)
- Screening: Het Zakmes / The Pocket- Knife by Ben Sombogaart (NL, 1992, 90’, 2K DCP)
- #4 Film Restoration Laboratories
- April 24, 15:30Guest: Elif Rongen Kaynakçi (Silent Film Curator at Eye Filmmuseum)
- Screening: Views of the Ottoman Empire project, compilation of films from various archives (1902 – 1926, 90’)
- #5 Silent Cinema: Views of the Ottoman Empire
- May 8, 15:30 Guests: Francesca Hecht (Restoration & project coordinator at Wim Wenders Stiftung) & Laura Holtorf (Managing director Wim Wenders Stiftung)
- Screening: Der Himmel über Berlin / Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders (GER, 1987, 128’, 4K DCP)
- #6 Digital Film Restoration: Der Himmel über Berlin in 4K